NEW RICHMOND in 1800's
.....On  New Year's Day 1871, E. J.. Wheelock opened the Richmond House to the public, with rooms to accommodate 30 to 40 guests and were at once filled.  A drygoods store was opened about the same time by Capt. A. H. Coates, and another more general store begun by  N. J. Sherman in September.  March had also built a store and a second hotel called the Western Hotel run by the Lamoreux family.
.....
When the post office was moved north to the Lamoreux store and there yet existed a post office in Richmond, the new post office was named New Richmond. The post office closed in 1979.
 

 

 
 
 
NEW RICHMOND  AREA

1836 RICHMOND SETTLEMENT


1873



From books by Kit Lane
1895  -  Notice future road in Sec. 20


.....In 1851 when E. A. Fenn, who would later found the city of Fennville, arrived from the east he chose, for his first Michigan home land near the village of Manlius because, "it seemed desirable to locate near as lively and promising a village as Manlius."

.....The settlement (it was never incorporated) was begun in 1844 when Ralph R. Mann, who had assisted John Allen with the abortive "city" of Richmond to the north, moved a mile and a half south along what was later called Mann Creek and erected a water sawmill, damming the creek and creating a long narrow  mill pond.  On the north east end of the pond Johnson Parsons built a store, John Roe a tavern and Randall Curtis a tannery.  Curtis also became the first postmaster of Manlius in 1846.  Mann later took over as postmaster and was followed by William C. Meeker. Mail was received at Manlius from Allegan and dispatched from there on to the mouth of the river.

.....When the railroad passed through Manlius Township in 1871 it ran parallel to Mann Creek and the millpond and a depot was built near the settlement, on the west side of the creek.  The railroad stopped in Manlius, through the summer of 1878, although at certain times of the year only one train stopped there regularly, all others had to be flagged.

.....
The dam on the mill creek went out in 1874, and the tavern burned the same year.  The post office had been moved to New Richmond in 1872 and when the depot closed, Manlius village diminished in importance.