O
U
R

T
h
e
a
t
e
r


As the 50's Alumni remember it
BILLING DESCRIPTIONS
The theater was best know to the 50's alumni as it appears above with neon lights. In 1932 when it was named "OUR THEATER" with a new lighted sign in front, it appeared as shown left. Clifford and Clayton Smith purchased it in March of that year. 

The 1st showing included "The Champ", featuring Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper; the 1st chapter of a Harry Carey serial "The Vanishing Legion" and a Felix the Cat cartoon. The projection room was above the entrance, where the windows are. Bob Hanson was the projection operator for many years. Notice the leaning smoke stack above the building used to let of heat from the electric-arc projectors. WE DID PAY 10 cents  for a while, later it was a quarter.
 

DESCRIPTIONS..DESCRIPTIONS Smitty ran the theater for 27 years until his death in 1959 and it was closed. The theater did try to reopen in 1962 but in 1963 Van Hartesveldt's Market purchased it to expand and used this area as it's entrance.

The Show Billings shown at top-right, below and the projector above
lead to posters of many movies shown at this theater
---click on the images---

...
See MORE POSTERS
See MORE POSTERS
See MORE POSTERS
........
Go To: Fennville History