<bgsound src="./media/04 - Ride To Fort Hays.mp3" loop=false>
Marks-Chellman Memorial Fennville    June 11, 1948
The News-Palladium from Benton Harbor, Michigan · Page 20

E. R. Donaldson, superintendent Fennville Memorial Park;
Refurbished By Volunteers FENNVILLE,

June 11--Fennville residents and visitors gazed with pride at the Fennville Memorial park, dedicated to the memory of tile two Fennville men who Rave their lives on the battlefields of Europe 30 years ago in World War I, when a Memorial Day program was given there recently.

The Memorial park, which in recent years hail declined in its appearance because of lack of constant care, had been entirely refurbished for the program. Moving spirit in the project to brighten the park has been Marvin Wolters, a veteran of three years Navy service, and a youthful neighbor. The two went with their home lawn mowers and rakes and cleaned the front of the park. Next day two employees of the village came with their mowers and high school boys did what they could for the ballpark section, which had been a lake all spring. The result, observers agreed at the Memorial Day rites, is highly pleasing, and it is hoped that a new rave of interest in the park may be; BUT THEY AGREE that a number of local individuals and of local groups will have to put; their hearts and their hands to the task in a consistent program if the improvement is to be maintained if the park is to be made still more attractive.

American Legion post 434 and Its auxiliary, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, and the Casco band participated in the Memorial Day service. The participants and many citizens first gathered at the Legion Hall and then marched the Memorial park. There the flag was raised while the band played the National Anthem. After other music, the parade moved to the cemetery, where there was more band music. An eight-man rifle squad, commanded by Robert L. Stevenson, fired a salute. A bugler from the band played. The Rev. O. W. Can- spoke briefly but fittingly, and there was more music by the band to conclude the program.

Two six-foot-tall cobblestone pillars mark the front entrance to the Memorial park. On each is a brown plaque, one in memory of Sgt. Rex. Victor Marks, 32nd division, killed in action in Fimas Wood on Aug. 1, 1918; the other in memory of Pvt. Fred E. Chellman, 1st division, killed in action in the Argonne on Oct. 9, 1918.

This little park, 495 by 528 feet, was a part of a farm owned by the late State Senator George Leland, who Rave the plot to the village in 1922. As an expression of appreciation Fennville businessmen bought 18 lots in the area. The whole covers some seven acres, the west part being the Memorial plot and the east part the only present place la athletic activities. It is unfit for use in wet seasons.

There was no money to develop the Memorial park except a small sum from contributions. Memoria' for the two pillars was gathered by some 12 men, including E. C. Foster Charles Chellman, Arthur Chellman, Charles Sheffer, Charles E Past Noble Grands Feted At Fennville, June 11--Some 25 past noble grands of the Radient Rebekah lodge were honored at the lodge's "Past Noble Grands Night." program recently.

There was a large attendance. Honors conferred included 'the filling of all lodge offices again for the event. In charge was Mrs. John Van Dragt, noble grand 11 years ago. Entertainment included a narrated pantomime skit. "Sir Algernon, or the Drama of Lite." with Mrs. J. W. West on as narrator. Each of the 25 past noble grands received a gift from the lodge, large combined address and telephone directory. Miss Queen Billings, the Past Noble Grinds- dub. thanked the lodge for die honor accorded her group. The Past. Noble Grands club will entertain members of the lodge at a meeting this month.


FENNVILLE MEMORIAL PARK
1948

Go To "Village to City" Page

...........