Horace and Lissetta (Walter) Hutchins
A Sketch created in 19th Century History
     HORACE HUTCHINS, the sixth child of Alvin and Clois (Fuller) Hutchins was born the same year the family moved to his parents final home and farm. His brother Davis was also born in Michigan in 1846. His Sister Sarah, Manerva, cornelia and brother William Waterman, "Wat" were born earlier in New York. One more brother, Orrin, came along in 1852 and sister Hattie. E. in 1862. Horace was a born farmer and on Nov. 12, 1874 he married Lissetta Walter, born Aug. 25, 1851 in Germany. Her father, David Walter, owned a shoe store in Fennville which was burned in the 1871 fire. Wat lost his wagon shop also. Walter Street was named for David Walter.

     Horace and Lissetta had four children. Cloyd ELMER, born Nov. 15, 1875 married Bertha Rowe of Allegan; Orrin born April 2, 1878 married Daisey Hadley; Asa Earl born April 18, 1885 married Darlene Sherman, and Ora born Nov. 7, 1890 married Fred C. Thorsen.


Horace and Lissetta with C. Elmer and perhaps Ora standing behind.

     Horace purchase 72.5 acres to farm just east of the Harrison farm. the land included what we all know as Eagle Point which now has a nice subdivision. Through the marriage to Lissetta he also became owner of a 37.5 acre farm on the S.E. edge of Hutchins Lake. This property came to a point where the lake road comes to the lake at the little township park.

     Near the 20th century, Horace had a roller skating rink in a hall on main street, half way between Maple and Elizabeth streets. About 1912 He and Mr. Van Buren started a movie theater upstairs called "Dreamland Theatre" where movies costs were 10¢ each. The theater moved 4 years later to a brick building where it retained that name until 1932 when Clifford Smith took over and named it "OUR" theater.
     One interesting 1892 project was in locating the new school building. After many meetings it was decided that graded school be built, a little north of the old one and the contract for building was let in October, but constructions was delayed over the winter. By spring of 1893 the question poor drainage came up during a discussion where an alternate site on West Main, between Rose and Mary streets was suggested. It being where the first Methodist Church, that burned down in 1871 was. It was thought that the hill was too high but it could be cut down. A vote was taken and it passed 92 for and 40 against.

Being good law abiding citizens Horace and cousin Harrison Hutchins stopped the construction with a court

injunction, the vote was not taken at a legal meeting.. Another vote was taken and the building was completed as pictured above. Of course that building was added on too, later torn down and the city library and a bank is now located there.

Lizzetta died on their farm near Hutchins Lake, November 27, 1922. The property was first her father's.

Go To:
FAMILY HISTORY PAGE